FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving to USA FFP advice
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:20 am
flatlander

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by robski
Hi Chinsexpat
I don't have lots of data points on the upgrades that AA Status gets you on their metal at the gate, but have very rarely seen any people listed on the Gate Screen get upgraded but I'm generally on the SFO/JFK A321-T or flights from SFO that are so short I'm not worried about an upgrade even though I'm 6'5.
Bear in mind that some AA upgrades clear before the gate opens; on less status-heavy routes my upgrade rate as an AA EP is reasonable.

For routes like SFO-LAX, "fuggedaboudit". EP is two a penny there, Conciege Key is what you need for any serious upgrade chance. SFO-JFK is barely better. Routes that are not between the richest metropolitan cities in the USA have a much better chance. So which sort of route will your (Chinsexpat) flying be on?

Also, don't underestimate the system-wide upgrades, especially if there's likely to be a lot of international or JFK-LAX/SFO in your life. Since you only get 4 (when you reach AA EP) they're not much use for the family, but if you have an employer with a relentlessly economy-only travel policy they can make life rather more pleasant. So consider if you would use them much, or if you intend directly to buy (cash or miles) the premium seat.

If your likely travel style isn't one that will get much benefit from either sort of upgrade, or if your spending (or your employer spending) is unlikely to get near the EP spending and mileage requirements, then stick with BA. From what you've said, it might be most reasonable to stick with BA for a year or so, then consider how it's turning out.