FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Enhancement to Tier qualification and requalification - drastically shortened benefit
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:12 pm
British Balikbayan

Programs: Etihad Guest Gold
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
I've been trying to get a straight answer to this for weeks and now EtihadHelp has posted one. GuestPlatinum has refused to give a straight answer stating there is change coming....

It seems that from now on you get 12 months from the day you qualify plus three months. That's it

No rest of the year plus a year plus three months any more.

No Jan to Dec qualification, your own personal year
I have also been following this issue with interest recently and feeling somewhat concerned as more info has come out. When they first announced that they were reducing new tier qualification from two years to one year for gold and plat, I was a little disappointed. However, I was also aware that if you time it right, you can also get up to an additional 12 months. Previously we could get up to 3 years but that has now been reduced to just over a year. That's like a 2/3 reduction, a massive drop.

From the Etihad Terms and Conditions today:

__________________________________________________ ______________

4. Guest Tiers

4.1. The number of Etihad Guest Tier Miles and/or Etihad Guest Tier Segments, required for qualification/re-qualification into each Etihad Guest Tier Status, and the benefits and privileges provided to members at each Etihad Guest Tier Status, are detailed on the Etihad Guest Website and are subject to change at any time without notice.
4.2. You may earn Etihad Guest Tier Miles and/or Etihad Guest Tier Segments by travelling on Etihad Guest Tier Qualifying Flights as specified on the Etihad Guest Website and/or as otherwise specified in our valid publications, as issued from time to time.
4.3. Once you have attained an Etihad Guest Tier Status (prior to 30 September 2017) , your status is valid for the rest of that calendar year plus:
4.3.1. one year for Etihad Guest Silver Members, and Two years for Etihad Guest Gold and Platinum Members
4.4 If you have attained an Etihad Guest Tier Status after 30 September 2017, your Tier status is valid for:
4.4.1. one year for Etihad Guest Silver Members, Etihad Guest Gold and Etihad Guest Platinum Members.
In addition you will enjoy the benefits of your Etihad Guest Tier Status for a bonus two month period immediately following the expiration of the periods mentioned specified in clauses 4.3.1,4.3.2 and 4.4.1 (as applicable).

__________________________________________________ ______________

I note that clause 4.3.2 is omitted. Please also note than the bonus period in the terms is shown as TWO months rather than THREE.

I feel relieved that I got my first gold qualification earlier this year which means my validity doesn't expire until the end of March 2020.

Will this change make me question my loyalty? You bet. I will likely reconsider my options in 2019 if things remain the same. I also haven't forgotten about losing lounge access as a Silver member before my card expired. Retrospectively removing privileges we have earned leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Mike