FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crossing the line? Rights of UA passenger when animals are on the flight.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:39 pm
Sykes

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Boraxo
In this case the correct procedure would be to ask the passenger if the animal is a service animal and then to inquire as to the service that is provided. If the answer is "emotional support" then you are well within your rights to request a copy of the verification letter" and to ask the FA to request the letter in the event of refusal. If the answer is "the animal detects seizures" then you are probably SOL.
I have made it a policy to question every person who brings a non-service animal into an establishment that serves food (which is not permissible in California). I have been called all kinds of names but I have yet to see an actual disabled person provide a lawful explanation.
Wait ... are you saying that you take it upon yourself to harass everyone with a service animal you encounter? In my opinion, another passenger on a plane or another patron in a dining establishment has no right to question another person's disability. If you have concerns, you should report it to the appropriate authority figures and let them handle it. It's likely the passenger has already been questioned about it multiple times, and it is entirely inappropriate for you to pile on.

I don't travel with animals (of any sort, service or not). But if I did and you questioned me about it, you can rest assured that you'd be called all kinds of names, even if I had a legitimate reason to have a service animal.