FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:38 am
der_saeufer

Originally Posted by cheltzel
What I was concerned about was the specs indicate that the XT1687 should work all over Latin America and the Caribbean. But the statement about the SIM not registering properly had me concerned.

As to Amazon vs 3rd party sellers, I'm not sure what you mean by 3rd party. I was comparing Amazon to B&H Photo in New York, an extremely reputable photo and electronics online retailer. Both sell the XT1687 for $219. IMO I would take B&H over Amazon in a heartbeat as they really stand behind what they sell.
The SIM not registering properly in Colombia appears to be an issue of compliance with a Colombian legal requirement. It's not realistic to expect the manufacturer to comply with a (rather strange and unique) Colombian legal requirement for a device labelled and intended for sale in the United States and sold through an American retailer. Even countries with very strict registration requirements for mobile plans generally don't care about the IMEI of the device.

Apple has an even more fun issue, where they sell iPhones with the exact same model number with and without CDMA radios. My European iPhone SE is model A1723 just like the one Sprint sells, but it will not work on Sprint because it has no CDMA. At least Motorola has the decency to change the model number.

As for 3rd party sellers, I meant Marketplace sellers on Amazon--while I'd be comfortable ordering the phone "ships from and sold by Amazon.com", I wouldn't order from a Marketplace seller unless the model number was specified. I've had great experiences with B&H as well, so given the choice (and a UPS-deliverable address), I agree with you on buying from them rather than lining Bezos' pockets.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Oct 31, 2017 at 2:46 am