FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is bulk/consolidator fare, and why it's valuable to UA flyer
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:03 pm
gokeeper

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What is bulk/consolidator fare, and why it's valuable to UA flyer

OK, got plenty PMs recently asking about UA bulk/consolidator fare, figure I will just write a simple FAQ here, hope this is the right place to post, mod please feel free to move / merge.

Q: What is bulk/consolidator fare?
A: Basically bulk/consolidator fare is a type of private fare that some travel agent who have special contract with airline were able to issue.

Q: What is the advantage of buying UA bulk/consolidator fare?
A: With bulk/consolidator fare, UA won't know how much you paid for this ticket, therefore they won't able to give out RDM base on ticket price. RDM earned on bulk/consolidator fare will calculated base on distance flown plus premier bonus.
Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 2.40.55 PM.png
Views: 4790
Size:  96.0 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 2.41.15 PM.png
Views: 4344
Size:  88.8 KB

For a $500 SFO-PEK G class, 1k will earn ~12000 RDM on bulk/consolidator fare compares to ~4500 RDM on published fare.

Name:  Screenshot_20171028-121939.jpg
Views: 4488
Size:  51.2 KB

Another great example is $2300 YYZ-BKK P fare, published fare will earn ~ 22000 RDM, while 1k can earn ~55000 RDM (250% distance flown).

Name:  yyz-bkk-earning-2.png
Views: 3992
Size:  125.3 KB

Q: What is the disadvantage of buying UA bulk/consolidator fare?
A: First, you won't earn any PQD, as UA don't know how much you paid. Second, SDC before your flight is not allowed, but you can request agent to do SDC at a connecting point, except schedule change/delay/cancel. Last, RPU/GPU can't be applied online, you need to call in and ask agent to manually attach instruments. Of course this won't be an issue if you are buying non GPU eligible fare or P fare.

Q: How much does bulk/consolidator fare cost?
A: Those fares usually priced same as published fare for same flight.

Q: Will I earn 5x/3x bonus if I paid with a premium travel credit card?
A: Usually you get charged by air ticket consolidator instead of airline, so you will earn general travel bonus (i.e 3x with CSR), but not 5x with AMEX PLAT.

Q: Should I buy a bulk/consolidator fare?
A: If PQD is not a problem for you, i.e: cc waiver, foreign address, and you don't care SDC, then bulk/consolidator fare will allow you earn much more miles compare to published fare, especially on dirt cheap Y fares to Asia.

Q: Where can I buy bulk/consolidator fare?
A: The everyone known way is to buy bulk/consolidator fare through CITI thank you point, and you can always ask your travel agent if they have those kind of contract. If you don't currently have one, I am more than happy to help

Q: How about other airlines?
A: Other airlines do have bulk/consolidator fares, but not as useful as UA RDM earning, I.E bulk/consolidator Y fare on AA earn 10% distance flown credit as EQD.

Q: Other questions?
A: Please reply here, I will try my best to answer.

Last edited by gokeeper; Jun 30, 2018 at 1:08 pm