FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:03 am
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by tmiw
That said, it does require a terminal change, and that plus the time required to go through immigration may make it fairly tight.
TBIT and T4 - from where, in my experience, all of AA's Hawaii flights depart* - are next to each other and are connected airside. It takes no more than five minutes to walk from one to the other; it takes no longer to walk from the customs hall exit to most gates at T4 than to most gates at TBIT.

I'd be concerned about clearing immigration, waiting for checked bags, if any - which at peak arrival time from Europe can take an hour - clearing customs and then going through TSA security and arriving at the gate for the LIH flight at a minimum 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time. If traveling on separate tickets, time must be factored for checking in bags at T4.

1:40 is doable for someone with Global Entry traveling with carry on luggage only. It probably can be done by ESTA passengers who can use the automated passport kiosks (that is, previously entered the US with ESTA). For anyone who has to stand in the regular immigration queue or with checked luggage, I'd recommend a minimum of 3 hours.

Please check the wiki at the wiki post at the top of the page for additional information.

*Except from some morning flights that depart from TBIT.