FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:18 am
chipmaster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by 889
". . . but you can still secure a local account with passport and once you got that you are golden with AliPay and Wechat Pay."

I grit my teeth every time I read something like that. Even with a bank account it can be an extraordinary hassle.

It turns out only a few banks work for foreigners, even fewer if your name takes more than 20 spaces.

There's no help at all navigating through the various problems that can arise. You are on your own trying to resolve any problems.

Further, these payment sites create even more confusion by setting up both Mainland and non-Mainland versions, with no explanation how if at all they work together.

And finally, phone numbers get re-used in China, and if the number on your new SIM has already been used to register on a site, you'll be in a hopeless situation.

In any event, how did you pay by credit card on OFO?
I don't disagree, I hear with the new currency tightening increasing hard. You need to "know" someone who "knows" someone or else get some documentation showing both local residence address and employment blah blah blah, but like almost everything, if you "know" someone. I may exercise that person this coming month, let you know how that works out

Originally Posted by mrjay
Payment section of My Wallet in the OFO app allows you to enter credit card info.
OFO will take a deposit (IIRC it was 199RMB) which you can later request be refunded.
Ditto for me, seemed to work for my AMEX and VISA both US cards.