FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Air stock falls sharply on difficulties with Virgin, Horizon Air
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:31 pm
tphuang

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Honest question: how does the schedule AS has compare to WN for your needs?
sorry, I think you misunderstood that I was referring to JetSuiteX. I live in NYC and have never flown WN in my life, nor have any desire to do so. I have flown AS and liked the product, but I certainly like VX product more back in the days.

As for AS vs WN, it's going to obviously be an up hill battle. Due to having fortress hubs in OAK, SMF, ONT and BUR along with huge hubs at SJC, SNA and SAN, it's an uphill struggle for anyone operating outside of SFO-LAX shuttle. Sure, AS has better product when E75 is operated vs WN, but so does JetBlue and it can't get any kind of premium on LGB routes to SJC/OAK. JetSuiteX kind of adopts a new model of aiming purely at more higher yielding and time conscious travelers. But it's still a huge uphill battle when only running 2 or 3 daily bw WN fortress hubs.

The only way to compete with WN on these intra-cali routes is either to build up to their frequency on multiple routes or become the largest carrier in at least one of the carriers. Both are hard options.