FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Air stock falls sharply on difficulties with Virgin, Horizon Air
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:31 pm
milypan

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
To set context, I'm a seattle based flyer who typically looks for the cheapest deals but would likely value the following list as any west-coast/alaska/hawaii based flyer:
Yes, that’s exactly the issue that many of us are emphasizing. In the PNW, AS had the best network and, until recently, very limited competition. But coming into CA they have a worse network, and far more competition than they’ve ever faced. What worked in the PNW doesn’t translate into success in CA.

- Free changes (2 months out) and price drop refunds!!!!
As you’re already aware, WN offers free changes up to at least T-1.

- Very easy to attain mvp status without revenue requirements,
Agreed. Unfortunately, trying to build status on an airline with a weak network is rarely an attractive proposition.

Very few cases of schedule-change saturdays, something which I've been screwed on all 3 UA/DL/AA if i book far-out (which i do, being a cheap revenue flyer).
I’ve flown over 500k miles on UA over the last decade and never had an issue with this. And believe me, I hate UA as much as anyone else out there.

- Great award chart for cathay/japanair, something that used to be AA niche, and great award chart with availability for iceland/condor to europe, for a 7-8 hour flight, great going to south-america with LAN/AA, and decent if-not-great availability to asia/africa with emirates.
Overall I agree that MP is the best earn/redemption program in the US. But I see no theoretical argument or empirical evidence that this matters to most people. If it did, the US3 wouldn’t have gutted their programs, because it’s pretty cheap to award miles, and a generous plan would provide a competitive advantage.

I don't know why people don't like alaska. I love it for everything its gotten me.
I like AS too. I want them to succeed in CA. But I understand that the things they offer that I like are not sufficient to offset a weak network and won’t induce most people to pay a premium. Hence the concern about where they’re headed.

Last edited by milypan; Oct 28, 2017 at 6:39 pm