FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:42 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by holloway1000
so, first question, with only 13 claims + mine, for a long haul flight which was over 4 hours delayed.. is this a normal claim rate? do most people just not know their rights?

and secondly, if BA, or CEDR decide that one of the cases is successful, does BA automatically apply the ruling to all claims on the flight, or do all claimants need to continue to fight?
For the first question: there is a range of factors here. Some people submit their claims many years after the event. Some people would not be entitled to compensation (e.g. they had a long connection and got to their destination under 3 hours late). Some people can't be bothered to claim, I've done that. But yes, there are going to be many people simply unaware of their entitlements.

For the second question, if CEDR does decide a case is successful, I don't believe it directly populates all other claims (and there may be circumstances in terms of start or end point which may be unique to each claim), but there again if a claimant continues to push for payment then it's likely BA will throw in the towel earlier on. I can't see CEDR being impressed by repeated cases coming up over and again for the same flight.