FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Air stock falls sharply on difficulties with Virgin, Horizon Air
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:10 pm
sfozrhfco

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I think the one major thing we are forgetting is AS has the best loyalty program hands down, particularly for those of us that cant fly on expensive fares or purchased F. I try to fly on AS as much as possible as I find the value of the miles earned (if used wisely). As long as they continue to have a miles based program I will continue to use AS.
That is another AS marketing line but is just not true for most people. VX was much better for occasional travelers as they could earn a free flight within California or to Las Vegas very easily. Higher end travellers earned points and status quickly. UA has way more partners--most of whom don't charge ridiculous fees. B6 and WN always have availability so I never have to worry about not being able to use my points. With the B6 credit card you also get 10% of your points refunded. I am mostly a leisure weekend traveler and AS usually charges a ridiculous amount of points for Friday to Sunday travel--even when the fares are not too high. Mileage Plan is not the worst program ever but it does not encourage me to choose AS at all--especially as their F product is so poor for longer flights that I would never accumulate points to fly on it.