FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Air stock falls sharply on difficulties with Virgin, Horizon Air
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:40 pm
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Well, I asked because you are mentioning last-in-class transcon proposition and "lamest product offering". Clearly that is the case in F on premium transcons. Not so clear to me that it's the case for someone like me who buys the cheapest fare because it comes out of my own pocket.
"Lamest product offering" applies to F, to be sure, but the other half of the problem is, AS+VX does not add up to a comprehensive national network. Without the AA alliance, you get an array of slim-frequency, high-priced routes to a mix of major and medium markets. No way to reach smaller markets outside the west; no way to get to MIA, or anywhere north of BOS, or any of Canada east of BC, or any of the South except ATL and CHS.

So that leads you to either shop on price, or -- more likely -- concentrate spend with another airline that has comprehensive coverage.