FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Air stock falls sharply on difficulties with Virgin, Horizon Air
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:20 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by milypan
At this point I have no idea what their SFO/LAX expansion strategy is. They don't want to provide a reasonable network for business travelers, they don't want to compete on price for budget travelers, they don't want to provide a competitive product for people willing to pay for premium cabins...who is going to fly them? I like MileagePlan, and the simple fact that they're not UA, but that's barely enough to keep me, and it's certainly not enough for the other 99% of potential customers. What a mess...
If I was still living in the Bay Area (or more specifically, on the peninsula), I wouldn't be flying AS/VX very much. I wasn't flying them individually except for occasional one-offs on VX to LAS when they were a lot cheaper than UA. The merger so far wouldn't have changed anything for me. Right now I would probably get myself one of those WN credit cards with a free companion pass and fly my wife for free all over the place for a year