FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to go about planning my first African luxury safari?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:15 am
obscure2k
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

One of our most memorable and wonderful trips was our combined cruise and safari in 1995. The ship was was the small luxury ship, Sea Goddess (now Sea Dream). We flew LAX/LHR/NBO. Stayed 2 nights in Nairobi. The safari arrangements were made by Micato tours.
On our second night in Nairobi, the Micato family invited us (the cruise pax) to dine at their lovely home and we got an excellent introduction to the safari.
We flew to Masai Mara and I'll never forget a family of giraffes strolling by our small plane as we landed. That is when I knew we were really in Africa. I don't remember where we stayed, by the accommodations were quite nice, with large bedroom, dining room, recreation room, bar. IIRC the safari was 4 days. One highlight, among many, was the hot air balloon ride. When our balloon landed, we were greeted by a very luxurious breakfast prepared by those who worked at the hotel. Micato thought of everything to make our safari comfortable and to make us feel welcome. After the safari, we flew to Mombasa, where we boarded our ship (I believe we were only 40 pax) and sailed to Zanzibar, Madagascar, Comoros islands and on to the Seychelles, which had no hotels on the pristine islands so we dropped anchor at the most beautiful, unspoiled islands; Praline, La Digue and a couple of others (all of which are home to 5* hotels now). So glad we had the experience of being among the few tourists at that time. Highest praise for Micato tours. www.micato.com