FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:54 am
hakeba

Update - response from BA

Originally Posted by hakeba
Hi, any advice on the likelihood of a compensation claim on this journey so gratefully appreciated as I keep changing my mind as to whether it’s a cancellation, delay or refund request, if any...

Original schedule:
Three flight segments on itinerary -

Flight 1
Departure
05:31 Wed, 11 Oct (MAA)
BA 36 British Airways

Arrival
11:50 Wed, 11 Oct London (United Kingdom) - Heathrow (LHR)

Departure
14:00 Wed, 11 Oct London (United Kingdom) - Heathrow (LHR)
Terminal 3 British Airways
BA 1598 American Airlines

Arrival
18:10 Wed, 11 Oct Charlotte (United States) - Charlotte - Douglas Intl Airport (CLT)

Flight 2
Departure
13:05 Fri, 13 Oct Charlotte (United States) - Charlotte - Douglas Intl Airport (CLT) American Airlines
AA 2066 American Airlines

Arrival
14:53 Fri, 13 Oct New York (United States) - La Guardia (LGA)

Flight 3
Mon, 16 Oct
JFK-MAA via LHR (not yet flown)

Flight 1 on 11/10/17 was cancelled due to a technical fault. We had already checked in and boarded the aircraft before being notified of the cancellation. The Captain emphasised the aircraft was only 3 weeks old so I expect BA may claim extraordinary circumstances.

We were rebooked to travel on the same route, same flight numbers one day later. This would have meant arriving in Charlotte exactly 24 hours later than our scheduled arrival.

We accepted this so Flight 1 then became the BA36 from MAA-LHR and BA1598 LHR-CLT on 12/10/17. Flight 2 remained the same as our original booking. However, the first leg from MAA was delayed around 40 mins (no reason given) so we then missed our connection in London to Charlotte.

The only option we were given on 12/10 was a connecting flight from LHR to CLT via IAD which would have got us into CLT at 23.23 as opposed to the scheduled arrival time of 18.10. There was no longer any point in our journey to CLT which BA realised given our itinerary so they accommodated us overnight in London and they re-routed the second leg of Flight 1 from LHR-CLT to LHR-JFK on Friday 13th.

We arrived in NY at 15.55 on 13/10 which was only an hour later than when we wanted to be in New York as per our original booking. This meant we never used Flight 2 as we flew direct to JFK for the 2nd part of the trip (but this was with AA so a separate issue).

So, flight 1 of original booking cancelled, flight 1 on second booking delayed making journey to CLT worthless. Overall our arrival in the States delayed by almost 2 days. But how are BA likely to treat an EU compensation claim as we never actually travelled to Charlotte in the end and they flew us to JFK.

Thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions.
BA have stated that we are entitled to compensation due to the cancellation of the first flight on October 11th. They have offered €600 per passenger or 60,000 Avios points which I’ll consider. Thanks for your responses and advice.