FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - two luxury hotels in Norway
View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:37 pm
DavidO

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
two luxury hotels in Norway

I'm recently back from a quick trip to Norway to explore the destination (my second trip). The country does not have a lot of true five-star properties. This is not necessarily a disadvantage when exploring the fjord region of Norway north of Bergen. For instance, I spent one night at Fjaerland Fjordstove Hotel. My Full-bedded room was tiny with no electrical sockets except in the bathroom and not even a bedside table. The bathroom provided just a sink, toilet, and a shower head in the corner with a plastic curtain. But the hotel was redolent with charm, the owner incredibly hospitable, the food excellent, and the views heavenly. A great place to stay — but luxurious it wasn't.

I did see two hotels worthy of consideration by connoisseurs of luxury hotels.

The Thief, Oslo

Located in a gentrified part of the city, right on the Oslofjord, that used to be a seedy part of town frequented by thieves and prostitutes — and thus its name, The Thief, and its logo ...

Notice the space in the word "TH E" between the H and the E The idea here is that both the "I" (and the "F") have been stolen. Cute!

I was truly impressed by the hotel. Lead-in rooms are small, typical of European hotels, but totally worthy of your consideration. I'd bypass the Standard rooms (24 sqm) and start by thinking about a Superior or Deluxe room (30 sqm). Differing only in view, all of the hotel's rooms have attractive hardwood floors and area rugs. I found them quite visually appealing, in an elegant contemporary style, noting especially the wall behind the bed — a very attractive design of different colors, shapes, lights, and textures. The bathroom was small with a single vanity, and make your wishes known concerning step-in showers and soaking tubs so that the hotel can block you accordingly. For more space, consider a Junior Suite. For a real WOW experience, the Oslo Suite will more than satisfy and even includes your private rooftop terrace overlooking the harbour.

I consider The Thief a true five-star hotel with a spa, gym, and exceptional restaurant; my main course — cod with chorizo and broccoli floret — was one of the best meals I've ever had.

Not [yet] Virtuoso, it's a part of Preferred Hotels, and you can book the Preferred Platinum Partner rate for amenities.

Solstrand Fjord Hotel & Bad

We spent our final night in Solstrand at this family owned and run hotel, a boutique resort with just 130 rooms. It hosts some corporate retreats during the week but is open just to leisure guests on weekends. About 40 minutes south of Bergen and the Bergen airport, you might spend a few evenings here relaxing at the end of an adventure trip through the fjords. The hotel has a spa (make appointments in advance) and two pools (inside and outside), both heated year-round.

Rooms are large by European standards. Standard rooms feel like Superiors, and Deluxe rooms are like Junior Suites — large with corner views. Every room in the resort has a view ... but the best views are found in the Junior Suites, especially large and directly facing the fjord. I spent the evening in a Junior Suite (pictured below) — a large bedroom area and an open-floorplan living room with sofas. French doors opened to a balcony. The bathroom had a soaking tub, step-in shower, and a single vanity. On the downside, the desk had no power plugs at desk level, and I blew a fuse using a floor plug ... and there were no power outlets near the bed, disappointing if you want to charge your iPhone overnight while using it as an alarm clock.

Breakfast is included in the rates, typical of hotels in Norway. There is a set menu for dinner, but while my salmon was certainly good, the meal had something of a mass-produced, banquet quality.

Last edited by DavidO; Oct 26, 2017 at 11:56 am