FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward)
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:35 am
MisterMechE

Got a call yesterday from USAA inquiring about high dollar amounts transfers to different bank accounts and high money order deposits (~$5-10k / month since July).

The many bank accounts was easily (truthfully) explained that my wife and I have several bank accounts scattered about from before we were married.

The large money order deposits were more difficult. I explained that we used it as a budgeting tool for spending (yeah, weak I know). The rep explained that they are now on the look out for something called "Credit Card Churning" (her exact words) and to be advised that money order deposits followed by large transfers out or large credit card payments would flag the account again in the future. She actually sounded apologetic, but said that because they're being told to "discourage their customers from credit card churning" that I should cool it on the money order deposits.

Not a big deal for me since there are plenty of credit unions and other banks around here that I know take MO deposits in-person with no issue, but a little less convenient for me with mobile deposits. I'll also consider myself lucky to get a warning instead of a shutdown.