FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:31 am
threeoh

Originally Posted by clyk
Had a missed connection and not sure what to file a claim for (trip delay or cancellation) or whether it would even be covered. Was traveling to Stockholm from Seoul. My brother had a ticket directly from Aeroflot, connecting through Moscow. Booked the same flights using an award for ICN-SVO and purchased the SVO-ARN segment. Everything was paid for on a Sapphire Reserve (including the award fee).

The first flight, operated by Korean Air, was delayed due to "air traffic control" and we missed our connection. We had to overnight at Moscow airport as ours was the last flight out and we didn't have a visa. Ended up staying at a capsule hotel in the airport and I had to buy a new ticket since Aeroflot wouldn't rebook me on another flight (my brother's flight was rebooked for him by Korean Air).

Would the hotel cost or my original ticket (or new ticket) be covered under CSR? If so, under which claim? Thanks in advance for your help!
(1) Your brother is not covered (unless he bought the ticket with his own CSR / other card with similar benefits). Of course if you dined together / have one hotel bill and you submit the receipt under your coverage, it's likely to go through without a problem.

(2) I assume (since Aeroflot/Korea Air didn't reaccomodate you) that your ICN-SVO and SVO-ARN were on separate tickets. I don't think we have any data points on this thread, but I don't see why this wouldn't be covered by Trip Delay coverage. Your travel was delayed because of weather, you incurred costs (hotel, etc.). But I also wouldn't be shocked if they have an internal rule against protecting against separate-ticket connections, even if that isn't spelled out in the guide to benefits. Please report back either way!

(3) The Trip Delay coverage is for expenses while you are delayed -- food, capsule hotel, etc. and is capped at $500. It never (or rarely) covers onward travel.

(4) It's possible Trip Interruption would apply because of severe weather, but I wouldn't count on it. If it did, that would cover the cost of the SVO-ARN flight that you missed (but wouldn't pay for your new flight).

I would submit a Trip Delay claim for hotel/meals, and a Trip Interruption claim for the original SVO-ARN flight, and see what happens.