FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA: LAX-SIN $384 RT (17520mi, 2.2cpm)
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:27 am
BThumme

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by EbonyTatas
I actually purchased three seats in total (sort of on accident). Originally my gf was going to join me so I purchased an extra middle seat so it could be the two of us in a row. She ended up not being able to go due to work and I was beyond the cancellation period for my extra ticket. Then last week, an Outlook reminder popped up that I had a $350 travel certificate on United that was going to expire in December. I figured I’d spend the extra $35 and purchase the whole row.

Thanks for warning about the GA/FA but I was assured by the agent on the phone that my “extra” seats are protected for this sort of thing. If I do have some over-zealous passengers I have no problem getting confrontational; I paid for those seats and expect that to be honored.
Not to be that guy, but if your gf no shows, the seat can be reassigned or given to a standby, even though you paid for it. It's no different then any other no show. You didn't buy the seat as an extra seat - you bought it for another passenger, and UA will ultimately tell you that. Maybe you have a case for it to be assigned last if you explain your situation to the gate agent. I suppose you could always try scanning her boarding pass if you check her in, but that's probably not a smart move either.