FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One day in DC - Public Transport Questions including DC Circulator & the Metro
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:03 pm
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for everyone's help. We're back from DC. We put $10 on a SmarTrip card and it lasted for the weekend. We actually owe $0.40 each.

The Circulator bus driver confirmed there is no unlimited day pass and had no idea why that info was on their website. He said he never looked at it. For future reference for anyone would like it, with the SmarTrip card, you can hop on and off the Circulator as much as you like for free within a 2 hour period of first boarding the bus and that includes another bus on the same route. That was nice.

We went to the Front Page on Dupont Circle for dinner Friday night as that was a place I always enjoyed when I lived in College Park 20+ years ago. It's still attracting 20-somethings! We felt on the older side of the clientele but so what?

We basically did on Friday what Jacob wrote. Air & Space, grabbed lunch from a food truck by L'Enfant Plaza, visited the National Gallery, and then took the Circulator to the monuments getting off at the Jefferson Monument and Lincoln. We then took the bus back to L'Enfant Plaza and stopped at a Starbucks to recharge and sat outside. Then we just people watched. We were seated within a block of a VRE rail station and watched the drama of train service disruption at rush hour because of an apparent fire on the tracks near one of the stops in Va. Commuters were understandably annoyed at the apparent lack of information released. We were following it on Twitter (why not) and saw that the VRE put out a text at something like 6:10 that a train at Crystal City would depart at 6:14 for those who were stuck in DC and recommended passengers take alternate means to the Crystal City station. The responses from commuters for that whopping 4 minute advance warning, especially as most seemed to be waiting at Union Station, was rather sharp and that's putting it mildly.

When it started getting dark, we went to the Front Page. I didn't realize it was directly across the street from the Red Line. Again, it's been 20 years. It was easy getting back to the hotel.

Saturday was the wedding. We flew back this morning.