FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:10 pm
bisonrav

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by benjai
Hi, just trying to plan out our trips and see if we can get to gold at a reasonable cost, suggestions appreciated.

I'm currently on target for 1250tp and missus and youngish son will be on 1280 (1320 if they get a two week grace).

We have to do a positioning to AMS in CE in dec, but I'm not sure if I should buy those outright (£216) or use RFS. If we buy outright, I'll need 170 to reach gold and they'll need 140/100. If not then I'll need 250 and they'll need 220/180.

We have Feb half term left to make a trip to collect the requisite TP. Was thinking perhaps buying AMS in cash and then we could do LHR-MAD-BCN for 120TP which would just tip them over the edge if they got a 2 week extension, but that would leave me 50 short. I could do a quick run somewhere by myself if required.

Or is there another obvious way to get the whole ~250TP in one go at a reasonable price that I've missed? I can't (won't be allowed to) do crazy runs so needs to be reasonably family friendly.

Thanks!

Assuming you want to do it with flights you're already taking the family on plus one trip away, you might as well book the AMS trip to get to 170/140.

Then you have a choice of LGW to Malta for £271 from a Tuesday to Friday, LGW to FNC for two or three nights from £322, or LCY to REK £332, Thu to Sunday, all available throughout February, all giving 160. Malta would be my preference, it's a nice destination with interesting things to see, and very easy and cheap to get around, hotels should be reasonable in Feb too. That means they'd be gold in the "extension" period so would get some immediate benefits.

That clears the family before the end of the TP year, and leaves you 10 to go, which is pretty easy - quick day return to Madrid from LGW maybe, £65.

Last edited by bisonrav; Oct 20, 2017 at 4:20 pm