FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SNA cleared, told must check out by 2pm, denied option to move standard room
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:01 pm
UKTraveller4Fun

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by slidergirl
Wrong. We may love what we do - why else would we stay in the business - but we are actors in the Front of the House. We have to always present a smile and be welcoming and engaging. And, it is not "from time to time" for that "difficult guest", but multiple times a week. Yes, we keep it smiling through all of them. But, that does not mean that, in the back office or in our personal life, we find some of them an annoyance. More than a few times, agents and managers I have worked with (and me also) had to walk to the back to cry because some rude guest decided it was permissible to verbally assault someone at the Desk. I've had a tablet shoved in my face because someone though they deserved any suite as a freebie, not the select standard suite. I had a guest literally jump up on the Front Desk and make a scene. I never said ALL guests. I've had guests who where an absolute joy and pleasure to serve, actually the vast majority have been that way.

I'm asking for the mod to close this thread as it has become far too off base and has turned into people bashing other people. It's feeding on itself. As for those who have PM'd me with positive thoughts, thank you. It let me know there are actually some decent SPG members out there who don't lie about me being fired, wanting to know where I work so they can ask that I get fired, wanting to know where I work so they won't stay there...
I have to say I do feel some of the assumptions people have made about you are unfair however at the same time I do feel with some of your comments regards SPG members and also indicating you thought the Op was in these catogories for me you did leave the door a little open but equally it should not have been as personal as it was.

Comments made along the lines of

Originally Posted by slidergirl
The last thing I expect on this particular forum is for people to be civil - I know better from the years I've been here.
It's the lock step "lazy, incompetent, untrained, rip off" rant over and over and over and over... If people think this way, they need to move on to somewhere else. Why stay somewhere if you think you are not going to get what you think you are entitled to over and over and over... All the negative comments here don't seem to warn people to make loyalty decisions. Many of the same posters here who complain have been on this forum for years. That is what drives me angry.

There is a famous saying "the only things guaranteed in life are death and taxes." Since there may be some here who no not (or won't) pay taxes, that leaves death.

Fortunately, my hotel caters to regular people, not entitled snowflakes ;-)
It seems a shame however for the thread to be locked rather than possibly edited as I think generally what people (certainly I) dont grasp is how from the perspective of somehow saying they work in an establishment that dont get guests like SPG hotels do, you maintain your higher calibre guests would be fine with being refused a benifit that they are entitled to when booking. This isn't a suite upgrade question or a grey area, it is something the guest is entitled to. You don't seem to give a reason for siding with the front desk being so unhelpful to the Op simply we do not know what the front desk have had to go through that day and how SPG guests treat front desk staff really badly where in this case all the evidence (including the hotel giving points to the Op)points to the front desk staff treating the guest badly!

People got personal because you laid into SPG guests and they are generally who you will find on this forum, yes more negatives get posted that positives as that is the general nature of the internet but you will find I have over time posted many positive experiences and comments about hotels as well as the negatives. In this case however the hotel was so clearly in the wrong and from what I can tell no one including yourself have given a valid reason for why the Op was treated why they were.