FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:47 pm
jags86

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Melissat126
Hi, i'm brand new to this forum and this issue but am at my wits end trying to figure out what to do after the past 5+ weeks. I have the chase sapphire reserve card. I have a trip booked for the beginning of January.

I had booked a trip for two to Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands (long before hurricane irma was even named). After the hurricane, the island and resort was devastated and destroyed. After a couple weeks, our resort started putting up facebook posts and photos of the devastation. From this point forward, I tried emailing (numerous times, no response), calling (phone lines are down), and facebook messaging - they would respond but not answer specific questions and would always ask to PM my email or phone number (which I did) but I still didn't receive a response from that.

I called the credit card company to file a claim - they said in order to do so I need a document or statement from the resort stating that they were destroyed/will be closed.

I reached back out to the resort stating that I need this information or some sort of statement on what their plans for future reservations are. The message was "read" on messenger but no response. I tried numerous other ways with posts, etc (along with other guests) and those would be ignored but the resort would post other items on their facebook page.

I called the credit card company back and they stated that if I can not get in touch with the resort, that I would need to provide some sort of news article that directly states the resorts name and the damage. I have searched high and low on the internet along with others and have found nothing of the sort. Everything states the island as a whole and their damage but not this particular smaller, family owned resort. The only thing I have is some screen shots of facebook posts and an old facebook message that was sent to another guest stating that it will take them 2 years to get back on their feet.

I reached out to expedia (I did not book the resort through them but booked the flights through them) and asked if they had any info on the resort. They stated that a lot of the virgin gorda resorts have updated them with their status but ours did not, they gave us a phone number which also was disconnected.

As of two days ago the resort took down their facebook page. Their website is still up but the contact form doesn't help and there is no updates on the page.

If I have the charges reversed I will be charged change fees for my flights (according to the airlines and cc).

The resort has severed all contact with all guests and are now completely unreachable.

What in the world do I do?!??!
File the chargeback against the resort and eat the change fees on the flights. If they reappear all of a sudden then try to file the claim.