FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rio to Ilha Grande to Iguazu Falls
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:03 am
RafKa

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
The preceding comments illustrate everything that's difficult about planning a trip to Brazil. One person says something is safe; another says it is not. It's really hard to know.

I've driven around a lot of developing countries, and I haven't had any real problems. But I've never driven around Brazil. I'm trying to get an idea of how likely it is to drive into a dangerous favela and "not know it." Like I've driven around South Africa a lot. There are some townships I probably wouldn't be very comfortable visiting. But it's kind of obvious I wouldn't be comfortable there, and don't drive into them. Is it like that in Brazil, or is it easy to be in the wrong place at the wrong time?

There is little question in my mind that rent a car at GIG would save me time and trouble getting to Ilha Grande IF it is a "normal" drive. As an American with an AMEX card, it doesn't seem like I need to buy any additional insurance; CDW is covered by my card. And not having to wait for and find a driver of a group shuttle is appealing to me. That said, if this drive is dangerous, or somehow truly difficult, I'd rather spend the extra time and money on a shuttle.
Unfortunately, GIG (and most roads in and out of Rio) is pretty much surrounded by dangerous favelas. Yes, there have been cases of people accidentally driving into favelas and getting shot, which is unacceptable by any measure. Having said that: we're talking about 1-2 such events per year, so the vast majority of people are absolutely safe.

What I would recommend is the following:

1- Plot your route on Google Maps at home and study the first few turnoffs carefully with Streetview.
2- Preferably use Waze at all times (Waze takes high crime areas into account and will avoid these). If you don't have access to data services, pre download Google Maps on your phone for offline access (go on the area map and type "Ok Maps").
3- When in doubt, stay on the main road: people drive into favelas by taking wrong turnoffs.
4- If you are unlucky enough to have any problems. Don't panic. Drive slowly, with windows down and internal lights on (if at night). Remember, that as a foreign tourist you are not a threat to armed criminals (i.e. member of a rival gang, undercover cop, etc) so try to keep your cool and remember that unless you get very unlucky, at most you risk getting your belongings stolen.
5- Carioca drivers are some of the most aggressive/reckless around. Stick to your lane and keep a safe distance from the car in front and ignore tailgaters, compulsive lane-changers, etc.