FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One day in DC - Public Transport Questions including DC Circulator & the Metro
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:13 am
Dallin Saurey

Programs: teach online classes
Originally Posted by Analise
Let me first say I haven't been to DC since the mid 90s so it's been a while! There was no DC Circulator back then. As I look at that bus service, I'm impressed especially as I was used to walking 25 minutes between Foggy Bottom and Georgetown.

We have one free day and night to ourselves this fall on a Friday as we'll be going down to DC for a wedding and we'll be staying in Crystal City. We want to go to the National Gallery and Air & Space for the first part of the day. In the afternoon, we'll want to see the memorials (Lincoln, Jefferson, Vietnam War). The DC Circulator looks incredibly convenient. Then at night, we'll either go to Georgetown or Dupont Circle for dinner.

I believe the DC Circulator buses have a $3 one-day unlimited trips on a SmarTrip card on all its routes. Where do we buy the SmarTrip card when we arrive in DC? If we want to do pay-per-ride on the Metro, do we need a separate card? Is there a fee for the card alone?

If we transfer from the DC Circulator to the Blue Line/Yellow Line back to Crystal City, do we still pay the full Metro fare (peak/off peak)? Or is there a discount on the Metro?

Thanks for your help.
nice