FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:14 pm
gadgetfreaky

Originally Posted by findark
As noted by Kacee 57.5k miles is far from a good value for UA - they would be booked internally as $575 which is less than many Economy tickets, not including the upgrade instruments supporting them.

Prior to the gate, you are waitlisted for I class. This is an inferior inventory class to R, so in essence you are "behind" anyone who is waitlisted for R class and thus behind all supported upgrades of any flavor.

It's UAs choice to prioritize upgrades over Saver mileage tickets, but I think it pans out in a cost/benefit analysis.

At the gate, you will be added to the upgrade standby list when you check in. This priority will be used by the GA right before boarding only; prior to that you still clear from the waitlist (and on domestic flights can be jumped by CPUs). Your place on this waitlist is uncertain; I have seen things in this thread to suggest placement either ahead of or before all supported upgrade requests.
weird since usually airlines maximize revenue per seat mile. If it doesn't clear and they give it to an upgrade it will be less revenue since it will refund. if a gpu doesnt clear there is no revenue impact.

The supervisor claimed only a paid ticket or a non saver or a higher elite saver ticket would clear above- not GPUs or the like. I think I read a few posts saying the same too. bummer- i think my chances are a lot lower if this is true.