FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Latitude fare flight pass upgrades to business class
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:55 pm
GJS - yow

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by YEGTigger
If you are talking about the complimentary upgrades, you can request the upgrade 48 hours before the flight. There is a link on your reservation page for Request Upgrade and you will get it if there are any open seats in J. If you have previously upgraded using eUpgrades prior to that time, you will have to phone in a request to be un-upgraded from your eUps, before you can request the complimentary upgrade.
Originally Posted by YEGTigger
I buy a lot of those, since that's where most of my transborder destinations are. Generally, I use eUpgrades at the time of booking, since the Latitude fare allows that and upgrade immediately. Then, at the 48 hour mark, if there is still space available, I will call in and get my eUpgrade cancelled, and then request the complimentary upgrade.

That way I save as many eUps as I can.
Can others confirm that this strategy works for domestic/transborder Latitude Flight Passes (i.e. the ones that allow complimentary upgrades within 48 hours of departure)?

The T&Cs for a Latitude Flight Pass (East-West Connector as an example) states:
  • "For Flight Pass bookings which include confirmed Star Alliance Upgrade Awards or eUpgraded flight(s), the traveller/sponsor's eUpgrade account will be decremented should the traveller wish to use their complimentary Flight Pass upgrade within 48 hours prior to departure. To re-credit your eUpgrade account, the upgraded booking must be cancelled and rebooked under a new booking reference in the original Latitude booking class. If the original flight(s) is no longer available, an alternate flight must be selected."

This seems inconsistent with the approach outlined by YEGTigger. Has anyone had to cancel their booking and rebook in order to recover the eUpgrade credits?