FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:32 pm
GatorBlues

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
I find this quite offensive. People can hold different opinions without being dismissed in such fashion. It's comments like this that increases my resistance to being asked for a seat swap.
If you feel I'm dismissive of your opinion on this topic, you're exactly right. I see no need to apologize for at least two reasons:

1. I've read the same tired arguments -- e.g., adults don't need to sit together, and it's MY seat and you should have booked it first if you wanted it -- from the same posters more times than I can count in the last couple weeks of this thread (that is, in the pages created after the anti-swappers finally stopped arguing against imaginary points no one was making and admitted that they think it's offensive to be asked and will never say yes). Thus, the "troll" portion of my comment.

2. I think the attitude that it's a rude imposition for someone to merely politely ask for a favor is elitist and obnoxious. Similarly, I think it's peevish and unbecoming to take the position that you'll never swap. You don't have to do a small favor for a stranger (it wouldn't be a favor if it was mandatory), but I don't have to think your approach is commendable. Plus, the leading proponent of these views is "Proudelitist." Thus, the "elitist" portion of my comment.

By the way, given that you can't stop people from having the gall to ask politely for a swap, and if you'll never agree to trade seats anyway, please enlighten us on how an increase in your resistance would matter?

With this post, I too have taken a few whacks at the horse's carcass. I shall henceforth practice what I preach and no longer feed the elitist trolls.