FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:57 am
ATOBTTR
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
As to your hypothetical, if I booked 3C, I am sitting in it. Especially if someone has the impudence to poach the seat so they can sit next to their adult companion. Grownups can be apart and it won't kill them. In that case, it is worth spending the extra energy to upset the poacher and enjoy their steaming glares at me for having the gall to keep MY seat.
I realize I'm probably wasting my effort typing but the "adults can be apart for a few hours" argument is a bit of a presumption in that you assume they'll be "reunited" on landing. When I was dating my wife, we lived in separate parts of the country for a while and would often travel together, and we'd meet up at our connecting points (hub) to travel together on one of the flights, and then the opposite on our return. In other words, our flight might actually be our last few hours together before parting ways and I'm simply pointing out that the reasoning so many on here use to justify not wanting to swap isn't always the case for everyone.

Of course I realize part of your mantra is probablt being an internet tough guy. Who knows if you're really his combative on the actual plane. While I've had people refuse swap requests and while I've both accepted and denied swap requests, I've rarely had it be as nasty as so many on here try to present how they seem to find it every time. In my 15 years of active flying, I can only recall about 2 incidents where someone poached my/our seats and were nasty about it and only 1 time where I denied a swap requests and the person was less than happy that I did so, so I really think the poster who pointed out that those who "have only been asked rudely" view merely being asked to swap as a rude imposition hit the nail on the head.