FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:02 pm
no1cub17

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I requested an upgrade from main cabin (discount economy) to Business class on a JFK-CDG ticket today for me and the wife (june 5th travel date). Online, it shows only 3 J seats out of 28 were 'taken' and the main cabin also is pretty empty, this is way in advance, but I got waitlisted.

I'm new at this (first time I've tried to use miles for anything), and debated whether the copay and mileage is really worth it anyways considering this is just a 7 hour flight but still requires the 350$/25000 miles which could be good on a multi-leg longer itinerary, but I thought what the heck, it might be nice to get a little treatment and sleep on a redeye (I can't sleep a blink in coach sitting upright which makes that first day vacationing in Europe worthless) and it isn't like there is ever much 'good' way to use miles anyways. The copay + discount coach ticket is about 1/3 of the cost of buying discount business class upfront, and the mileage 'worth' is about 2.2 cents apiece.

But, I'm kind of miffed that there isn't current 'availability'. If this flight which is pretty empty and way out in the future, can't be directly mileage upgraded, can any flight?

I have no status, fair enough, but how can there really be 'no inventory'? I really feel like AA just put me on a wait list with no one in it, and chances are either the flight will book-up and my place in line will just keep getting pushed back for 'elite-status' customers and I will be stuck in a crowded coach despite trying 8 months in advance getting an upgrade, or the plane will leave half empty where being in coach wouldn't be that bad and then and only then will they take my $$ and points.
Just depends on what your priorities are. Yes this can be a frustrating hobby but also incredibly rewarding. A little luck helps too. We've waitlisted and not gotten upgrades many times, but have also cleared DFW-HKG a week out. You win some you lose some. Might be too late now (you've already bought your ticket), but there *might* be C space available on other flights to europe - I imagine you're starting in OKC or SWO, so in that case DFW-CDG or ORD-CDG would be worth looking into as well. If you want to deal with a connection then maybe via LHR. It's rare but with some searching (get an EF sub if you think it'll be worth your while), you can get your money's worth.

Or as others have suggested - if J is just $900 more than Y, just upfare your ticket.

Boomer!!!