FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why did you stop Manufactured Spending?
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:57 pm
uppereastsider

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Why did you stop Manufactured Spending?

I'm curious from those who have stopped MS as to why. Is it because options dried up? Was the risk of a shutdown too great? Or do you have enough points and it's time to start enjoying them?

I'll start.

I was a late bloomer to MS, in that I missed the "golden days" of MS with the mint. I just heard many stories, but i wasn't a frequent traveler then, so I didn't pursue.

Once I became a frequent traveler with a new job, I learned about MS and became hooked. Target, CVS and Walmart became my favorite stores. The days of Vanilla Reloads and Target Redbirds were amazing. I was easily able to earn Delta Amex MQMs, 100k signup bonuses, etc. Things were great, and I made a saturday routine of walking to Target, reloading my redbird, walking to CVS, buying VRs and depositing cash from Target for Amex into my ATM.

I even dabbled in NW Buxx to earn Amtrak TQPs and earn easy Chase UR points.

But now all those programs are gone. I stopped doing NW Buxx when I was hearing about Chase accounts being shutdown from its usage.

And I've completely stopped MS.

For me, the reasons are this:
- There are no "easy" programs left. I have 0 interest in MOs and Debit cards. I liked NW Buxx since I can do it at home. I liked Vanilla Reloads because there was an excitement in finding a CVS full of VRs. I didn't mind going to Target for Redcard and AFT

- I'm too afraid of being shutdown now. I highly value my chase and Amex relationships

- There seems to be a lot of banking shutdowns with MOs. I don't mind opening/closing a ton of credit cards. Checking accounts are a different story

- I routinely charge around 3-5k in expenses per month for my day job (on top of my organic spending). Most of these are dining (client meals) or traveling (ubers/trains, etc) and I maximize them with my CSR

I think the biggest thing for me - even if a Redbird/VR type program came along, I would be too worried about being shutdown now.