FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MP mileage credit & privileges booked via TAP
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:46 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stainhead
I am planning to fly return TPA-MAD in mid-January 2018 and for some reason the UA economy fares (and practically everything else) are all pricing out in the $2500 range while TAP has an assortment of 2-stop itineraries that are less than half that price. I am obliged to use my company's travel service and rules so it looks like I will be stuck with booking via TAP--a new situation for me.
Looking at TAP's website, it shows "Basic" and "Classic" products (my company won't pay for E+, which I can usually get for free on UA because I am Premier Gold). Evidently with "Classic" you can select a standard seat, and I believe my company will cover that. With "Classic" it also shows "70% miles" vs. "40% miles" with "Basic".
Four of the six legs are on TAP metal while the other two are UA and JetBlue codeshares respectively.
My questions are:
1. Will I be able to choose an E+ seat on the UA leg?
2. Will my *A Gold status give me any seat choice privileges on TAP (the TATL legs are on a TAP A330)? On JetBlue?
3. If I book this flight specifying my MP number, what will my MP miles credit be for this itinerary? 70% for all flights? Will I get mileage credit on JetBlue also, as it's a TAP codeshare?

Thanks for any insight.
1 - Yes
2 - Definitely not on JetBlue; I'm not sure about TAP.
3 - Credit for the UA leg will be based upon the amount of the fare credited to that segment (for RDMs) / 100% (PDMs). TAP credit will be based upon UA's chart for TAP, not their own chart, and it depends upon what fare class "Classic" actually maps into. No credit for JetBlue regardless of the codeshare, but you can get credit on JetBlue or one of their partners for that leg.