FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which airline is responsible for delayed/lost luggage on a multi-leg journey?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:23 am
GREAKLY

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by SK AAR
No sane carrier or travel insurance comp. is going to reimburse excessive amounts like this. Only reasonable purchases made will be reimbursed. Missing your bag 1-2 days does not mean that you are entitled to do a shopping frenzy. If I was LH/UA or your travel insurance I would only reimburse a fraction of the costs for lotion, cologne, hand cream, eye cream etc which I'm sure will have plenty of value left once your bag is recovered and delivered to you.
As I mentioned earlier, on the previous occasion UA reimbursed me 320 euros for purchasing eye, hand and facial cream, cologne, shampoo and etc. I do not see anything unreasonable about that. These are the kind of products I normally use. I did not want to buy them again but by losing my luggage the airline forced me to do that. Hence, under Montreal 22.2, they have to reimburse me for such purchases. Unfortunately those cosmetic products are not offered in "single-time-use" packaging. So I had to buy the smallest available sizes. If the airline wants to argue the remaining value, they are more than welcome to have what's left and do whatever they want with it. Otherwise, next time you have a car accident your auto insurance company would use the same logic and pay you only a fraction of the total cost of your car, claiming that there is plenty of value left in the wreckage.

Are you suggesting that in such case I should buy cheaper toiletries than I normally use to make it "reasonable"?