FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Just want to stop at 59 nights
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:24 pm
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I am in full agreement with many of you in that TSUs shouldn't expire in just 12 months - it seems like an unnecessarily short expiration date, but I feel like some of you all are just overthinking this too much. I would rather get my TSU's now and get them all booked into my spring and summer trips before the availability for such upgrades at choice properties on choice dates goes away rather than waiting 3 months just so that I can use them next Fall (normally, a slow travel season). And if I could get 4 now by hitting 60 and get another every 10 more nights through the end of the year, then I would have 5 or 6 next year, a couple of which are good going into the fall anyways. Hyatt Suite upgrades are pretty much unmatched elsewhere and even after 60 nights I would consider going for 70, 80, 90 and 100 nights before trying to rack up status elsewhere that won't give me any suite upgrades (yes, at a certain point SPG gives you 10 NIGHTS of upgrades, maybe that works better if always take really short trips, but each Hyatt's upgrade works up to 7-nights, if I had them for 2018 I would use them for 4 planned stays with 24 total nights!)

So, I understand the complaint, but I don't understand the strategy of waiting because I would much more fear losing the ability to use them when and where I want to use them than fearing not having one next Fall.

The bigger deal to me is the 120 days on the Cat1-7. Even with a hefty rate of travel, you don't get that until the summer or Fall, and then you only have 4 months to fine a way to use them during a time of the year where it isn't the easiest to take trips if you have kids and the school year to contend with and finding availability may be tough the times that are convenient. Next year, I plan to hit 60 nights in September, and using that Cat1-7 in a smart way between October and January is going to be somewhat of a frustration.

Last edited by MarkOK; Oct 9, 2017 at 6:00 pm