FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which airline is responsible for delayed/lost luggage on a multi-leg journey?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:31 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GREAKLY
This has been my understanding as well until a few months ago, when I was supposed to be flying from Chicago IL (ORD) to Helsinki, Finland (HEL) via Washington DC (IAD) and Munich, Germany (MUC) on United Airlines and Lufthansa. The first flight (UA, ORD-IAD) was delayed due to mechanical reasons to a point where I would have surely missed my connecting flight in Washington. Because of that I have been involuntary rebooked on a direct UA's flight ORD-MUC with further connection to Helsinki on Finnair. Also I was told that I would receive the boarding pass for the Munich-Helsinki flight from Finnair’s staff in Munich (United’s agent who did the rebooking was unable to access Finnair’s system). Both pieces of luggage were not re-tagged.

However, upon arriving to Munich I was denied boarding the Finnair flight. Neither Finnair, not United employees were able to explain me the reason for denied boarding. They mentioned something about the rebooking been done incorrectly. Nevertheless, once again I have been involuntarily rebooked. This time on a later LH’s direct flight MUC-HEL.

As a result of all that ordeal I have arrived to Helsinki seven hours later than I was supposed to. Also my bag was missing and has not been delivered to me until the next day. Hence, I had to go and buy some necessities such as toiletries and skincare products. Even though the PIR claim number was under LH's name (HELLHxxxxx) they suggested that I deal with UA on this matter, since they were the ones who caused all the mess. I filed the reimbursement claim with UA and they paid it. Not LH.
You could have pushed back on LH if you had wished, but it's not uncommon for carriers to pawn of liability. Low-level LH staff may not even appreciate that UA is a JV partner and thus who pays what is irrelevant.

Had UA told you to go back to LH for what I presume was a smallish pittance, you could have done so.