FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which airline is responsible for delayed/lost luggage on a multi-leg journey?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:57 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'm sure someone else will chime in soon with a more definitive answer, but to my understanding the responsibility falls on the carrier who issued the tag. I've been told this is one reason why some carriers are reluctant to interline bags on separate tickets because they don't want to be held responsible if something happens downline after they have turned over possession to the second, separately ticketed, carrier.
This is incorrect. The responsibility for delivering and compensating for loss, damage or interim expenses, is solely the responsibility of the last-delivering carrier, e.g. LH. This is regardless of fault (LH is free to pursue AC or UA if it wishes to do so), but the customer deals with the carrier on the ground.

This is a sensible rule and has worked well for 50+ years. In this case, neither UA nor AC serve LED and it is LH which will have the ground-handling and courier capabilities to physically have the bag delivered.

Make certain that you keep LH up-to-date and that it has a good mobile number and solid delivery address. You should be able to locate your claim in WorldTracer and you will then have online access to the same information accessible to LH.

This is not to suggest that if you see that your bag is sitting at YYZ, that you can't call AC but do understand that if AC receives conflicting information, the problem starts all over again.

Hold off on compensation until after your bag shows up (or does not). Keep receipts for reasonable expenses and follow LH's instructions for reimbursement.