Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:52 pm
bensyd
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by whistler814
Flight constraints:
Inbound - can fly directly into SYD or connect via AKL (8 hr layover) to BNE
Outbound - none
Is there any particular reason that you want to fly into Brisbane? I would go for the direct flight to SYD. Auckland is pretty boring compared to the rest of NZ, and even if your girls are great travellers, I'd budget on a lazy first day to get used to the time difference, not a big day of sightseeing and then another flight.

Originally Posted by whistler814
General plans (so far):
I have been thinking that we would fly via AKL and get out to walk around the city before going to BNE. Spend 3 days in BNE, see koalas/kangaroos, and Gold Coast. Fly to SYD for 2-3 days. Off to HKG.
I'd personally just pick Sydney and stick with that. You can overnight in the Blue Mountains, the weather should still be warm enough that you can swim, take a trip down the Royal National Park, which has some excellent beaches (avoid the nude ones ). Taronga Zoo has everything you need in terms of native wildlife, although state law dictates that you cannot hold a koala in NSW. There are even some pretty easily accessible campsites near Sydney where you will be surrounded by kangaroos and wallabies in the morning (or you can just do a day trip). You can head to Bondi and get fish and chips and eat it in the park next to the beach.