FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please help - 1 week in Australia/NZ
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:28 pm
whistler814

Please help - 1 week in Australia/NZ

I have a week to go anywhere with my two girls (9 and 5 years old) before going to Hong Kong for a family reunion. (Before I got my geography straight I told the girls we could go to Australia We will be flying from DC during the last week of March. I would appreciate some help focusing our trip, since I'm not sure what to expect.

About us:
Kids are good travelers. They want to see kangaroos, koalas, and wildlife. They are fine on road trips and they enjoy beaches. We appreciate local insight and tourist icons (the Sydney Opera House for example) but would like to avoid tourist traps. Our most recent trips have been to Southern California, North Shore Oahu, Toronto, Seattle, Cancun, and Hong Kong.

Flight constraints:
Inbound - can fly directly into SYD or connect via AKL (8 hr layover) to BNE
Outbound - none

General plans (so far):
I have been thinking that we would fly via AKL and get out to walk around the city before going to BNE. Spend 3 days in BNE, see koalas/kangaroos, and Gold Coast. Fly to SYD for 2-3 days. Off to HKG.

Questions:

1. Is getting out to see AKL during an 8 hour layover (on a Saturday) worth the hassle? Flight gets in at 7:55am, departs at 4pm.

2. Is Lost Pine Sanctuary a good place to see/touch koalas and kangaroos?

3. Any recommendations on what to do if based in BNE? Gold Coast/Surfers Paradise?

4. How is the drive from BNE to SYD? Is there a place in between that would have interesting wildlife/scenery that we should stop for a night?

5. Any other recommendations for cities to visit, things to do? In other words, what would you do if you have a free week to spend with two young explorers?

6. In general what is the weather like at the end of March?

Thank you all in advance for your help!