FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:47 pm
WillTravel4Food

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Everybody seems so fixated on the pain this issue is causing them personally. This is a systemic problem with developing new ATPs and bringing them into the system. It’s affecting all the regionals, just some are doing better than others at minimizing the impact. Only until Congress addresses the issue that their law has created a bottleneck in the system will this isssue go away. Then and only then will the mitigations that the airlines need to implement will prove helpful. The airlines, especially the regionals, need to understand that they cannot create jobs that pay so little when the cost of attaining the qualification for those jobs is so high. I say it needs to be in that order because even if the airlines, like Horizon, were to increase pay enough to entice new students to enroll in flight training to become ATPs, they are easily 3-4 years away, minimum, before they reach the minimum qualifications. So complain all you want about whomever you want, but the underlying issue is not the airline or the FAA. It’s the law that requires 1,500 hours of flight time and the cost to getting those hours. I work in the industry. The common belief is that it’s costing new pilots $250K to get to ATP. Insufficient numbers are shelling out that kind of money for a job that pays $25K. I find it difficult to believe increasing starting salaries to $50K would offer sufficient relief. So it needs to be a bit on both sides, Congress and airlines, to meet in the middle. Offer a liveable wage and a qualification standard that’s based on capability, not time.