FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I've been Global Services for 5 years and I'm looking elsewhere. Anyone else?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:32 pm
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Bastian didn't say Delta is done with free upgrades. Continuing the interview:

Quotes from someone who actually watched the talk --

Ed: "we are selling upgrades but we monitor that to make certain that there is a line we dont cross...it's a line we carefully watch between free and paid..."
Moderator: "and you do want really loyal Delta flyers to get up front for free sometimes..."
Ed: "Absolutely..absolutely....and thats an important part...and I agree with you that is actually one of the best benefits of the loyalty program..."

That's really no change from the long-standing policy to sell F/J cabins, with generally the same goal as UA.

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread
It serves to demonstrate the similarities (between United, Delta and for that matter, AA, as you pointed out). The things you cannot escape from. Upgrades are not assured as an elite benefit.

Sorry if I made it appear Delta was getting rid of free upgrades. That wasn't my intent. I'll look at my post and edit appropriately. Thanks!