FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:00 am
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
To each his own. I don't see politely asking someone for something that leaves you better off, but doesn't leave them worse off, as discourteous.
Oy. Just because you think it leaves them better off does not mean that they think it would leave them better off. This is what so many people don't get: It's not the asker's place to judge whether the askee should or should not accept the swap.

In my case, if the person in 21F had said "sorry, my wife is here in 21E, would you mind taking 21A (identical to 21F, on the other side of the plane) instead," I would have had absolutely no problem with it.
You might not, but when I choose my seat, if it's a daytime flight, I consider which side of the plane I want to sit on, because I like to leave the shade open and don't like it when the sun shines in on me.

I rarely ask for a swap, but when I do, it's always for a seat that's at least comparable, and often better.
In YOUR opinion.