FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:40 am
Proudelitist
Suspended

Originally Posted by cestmoi123

I rarely ask for a swap, but when I do, it's always for a seat that's at least comparable, and often better. As an example, a few months ago, I was on the aisle in the last row of Comfort+ on an E175 (9C maybe?), with my spouse and child across the aisle and in the row behind me in regular economy (10D and 10F for the purposes of the example). I sat in 10C, and kept a close eye out. When the person in 10C was approaching the seat and giving me the "you're in my seat" look, I stood up and asked if they would mind taking 9C. If they had said no, I would have immediately moved, but they were quite pleased to get extra legroom and the snack basket.
You poached a seat. You put your wants..and they are wants, not needs..over someone else. Your child was seated with a parent. There is no reason you HAD to sit together so badly.

By poaching the seat you forced the rightful owner into an uncomfortable social situation, even if you THOUGHT you were polite by asking nicely and being willing to move if they said no. They have no idea what your intentions are. Now they board and have to deal with this.

I would have booted you from my seat on principle, and you would have deserved it. Extra legroom or not.