FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK
View Single Post
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:42 pm
jsmeeker

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
A few weeks back, I was in London for 8 nights. Five of those were at the Renaissance St. Pancras on a points stay.

At first, I was super excited to stay here. Then started to second guess the choice based on some reviews. But I decided to go ahead with it. I'm really glad I did.

First, the building is spectacular. A grand Victorian structure beautifully restored. St. Pancras railway station, with it's massive arched roof above the platforms serving the Eurostar trains, is really something to see. Big beautiful lobby. Look at that blue iron work. Just great.

I arrived early afternoon, coming from a hotel in The City. I had booked just the regular room. The "smaller room" or whatever it is they call it. Walked up to desk, was greeted and offered a cool glass of water. Front desk person told me they had a room with two beds. I really wanted a single, larger bed. I asked if I could get one with a larger bed. She went off and checked. Yup.. Sure.. But it's not ready now. They took my bags and off I went for some fish and chips in a place nearby in Bloomsbury.

Got back to hotel. Room was available. Top floor (7th floor). I was "warned" the window would be smaller. Got to room. It's really not than small. Have had smaller rooms. Plenty of space for a single person, though. Even for five nights. The window was smaller. But that was fine. looked out over the British Library

Room was nice. bed was OK. I had read some negative reviews about the bed. And while it wasn't great, it wasn't so bad. Really, I think I struggled with the shower the most. Big step up and into and down out of the tub/shower. Everything else was fine. Very fluffy robes.

Good cocktails and down in the very busy Booking Office restaurant and bar.

Location wise, I think it's actually great. YES, Euston Road is very very busy.. But once you get off of that, things quiet down. Transport is outstanding. I don't think there is a better transit hub in London. Direct service on underground to Heathrow. Direct train service to Gatwick. Eurostar trains to the continent in St. Pancras. You can get right into the station via the Booking Office. Trains up to Edinburgh via adjacent Kings Cross. A short walk down the street, Euston station. Trains up the west coast line. Glasgow. And of course, a ton of other places from those three different main line railways stations. SIX different Underground lines. Tons of busses too. Really, you can get a whole lot of places pretty easily from that hotel.

I did have some doubts. But glad I stayed. Would totally recommend. Especially if your holiday involves a flight to/from Heathrow or Gatwick PLUS a train that uses St. P or Kings Cross or even Euston. So convenient.

Of course, next time, I may very well give another Marriott a go (first stay a few years ago was at the JW Marriott). Maybe County Hall. Or the St. Ermins. Or Threadneedles (I really like staying in The City for the first part of my trip)