FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG Pier F lounge access question
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:08 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by katsgone
To be clear...and please forgive me I am not great with all the abbreviations and acronyms...if I am coming in on Cathay Pacific in First Class but connecting to another flight where I will be seated in Business Class, I can access Cathay Pacific's flagship First Class lounge while on the layover in HKG airport, awaiting my Business Class flight?

Thanks for any help you can give.
yes. just to provide a nudge, this is one of the most oft-asked question here! we have numerous threads and links about it in here too.

Long story short, the OneWorld rules provide for a passenger connecting from a long-haul first class ticket with an onward boarding pass for aOneWorld flight to use the F lounge. The catch: it must be same day. You cannot land on Day 1 in F, and depart on Day 2 in J or Y (even if it's on a OneWorld carrier) and still use the F lounge.

A few small quirks here and there. For example a "day" is defined by the airline / airport definition. at HKIA, generally a day is from the first departure of the day ~6am until the last departure at night, say 2-3am. It doesn't cutoff straight at midnight as that would be impractical. Aka you land Day 1 at 7pm, and depart at midnight in J class you can use the F lounge (aka they won't screw you over and say "it's the 'next' day! too bad!").

But where a lot of people here get caught up is buying these cheapo Alaska mileage tickets which allow free stopovers. They'll book F and land on Day 1, fart around in HK for a few days, and then fly in J class a few days later and expect/hope to get the F lounge on that departure. Their argument is "but F wasn't available on my next flight!" Irrelevant...not allowed.

F = First Class
J = Business Class

You should also read about Pier J lounge in HK, next to the F lounge which I discuss above and we discuss extensively elsewhere. Although everyone has their own desires and it's not my place to judge, just on an absolute standard the Pier J lounge is absolutely superb and - despite me having access to the F lounge whenever I want it - I *choose* the J lounge over F half the time. I don't fully grasp the hardcore need for the F lounge.