FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:54 am
TTT103

Originally Posted by ermintrude
For some reason I applied and was approved for the 100K Hilton Honors surpass card. I don't stay at hilton and didn't look at their redemption rates until after I was approved (I didn't realize it had gone from category to revenue based either). Anyway I was massively disappointed with those rates (US domestic and abroad) and will probably just give the points away (I would have got gold through status matching anyway if I wanted it) - there is the free room on renewal - I think this is at any grade hotel? (not sure if the annual fee can be waived) But for me this is the worst card for perks I have ever signed up for. I still don't have the citi prestige for goodness sake. What's most annoying is that it knocks off one of chases 5/24. C'est la vie. But unless you a Hilton fan I'd give this card a wide berth.
I am perplexed. Why would you apply for a Hilton card if you don't stay at Hilton's and plan on giving the points away? Is status match even an issue if you don't stay at Hilton's? Yes, the free night is for just about any hotel, but you need to pay the second year renewal fee before you are issued the free night certificate. Not certain why you wouldn't combine the 100K with the second year free night.

BTW, I find great value in the Citi Prestige, but would suggest taking a look at the benefits before applying, as the card is not for everyone.