FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:03 pm
gengar

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I was going to post in this thread asking if anyone had recent experience with the MO concierge, but then noticed that @chang9121990 expressed disappointment with the MO concierge two months ago here. So I see I'm not the only one dissatisfied recently.

To try to keep it brief, I booked a Tokyo trip on short notice; needed to be in Odaiba for the first part so split my stay between the Conrad and the MO, where I booked an Oriental Suite. But pre-stay interactions with the MO concierge were so unresponsive and unhelpful that I canceled my reservation, and I got absolutely no follow-up from the property even after registering a specific complaint.

It feels like all the details of all the interactions could fill up the example portion of a service failure case study, but the worst interaction was a simple request for event tickets. The MO concierge took several days to reply and claimed that the event was officially sold out. They did say they could investigate alternative channels, but they got hung up on insisting I had to fill out a CC authorization form and providing scans of both the front/back of my CC via e-mail. Others can comment on whether this is standard in Japan/Tokyo, but I thought this was over the top especially as they already had my CC info and the face value of the tickets wasn't even $100. (No other hotel concierge has ever asked for scans of my CC; heck, even the Park Tower Knightsbridge in London - a property that I'd say isn't exactly known for great service - required no additional information/forms/etc. whatsoever when they secured me event tickets earlier this year that were almost an order of magnitude more expensive.)

At this point, given how slow every response was from the MO, I had already started my stay at the Conrad. So I went to the concierge there and despite the event not even being during my stay there, the concierge was happy to get tickets to the event in question – and did so within 5 minutes (and it only took that long because the concierge printed out a seatmap of the venue to show me exactly where my tickets were), and at face value, to boot. That was the final straw after which I decided to cancel my MO reservation.

Hilariously, the MO concierge e-mailed me the next day that they were "still searching" for tickets to the event but again stating that to proceed, they needed the authorization form / CC scans.

As a side note, I went into my Conrad stay with very low expectations but was blown away by the level of service provided by their concierge and reception teams. I was repeatedly greeted by name in the lobby, my requests were consistently followed up on, and they simply showed they cared. There's a lot not to like about the Conrad property, but at the same time, the room rate of the bayview suite I booked isn't at all comparable to the Peninsula Deluxe Suite (where I rebooked my MO stay) or of course the MO Oriental Suite. I'll post brief reviews of my Conrad/Pen stays when I have more time, although I can already say my Pen review will echo a lot of the recent negative reviews about the property.

Last edited by gengar; Oct 2, 2017 at 1:57 am