FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG Pier F lounge access question
View Single Post
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:51 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Can't you order J food in the F lounge?
haha yes, but it's really pointless IMO.

I'll avoid going on one of my long "Pier J is better than Pier F" rants, but long story short the a la cart food options in Pier F are really poor in comparison, and totally lack for abundance. Pier J has a front section with small bites, the big buffet area, a separate section of dim sum and other lite bites, the noodle bar area, plus the entire tea + sweets area. It's just *so much bigger*.

And practically speaking, it's not realistic to order what's in the Pier J lounge. Since that's all a la carte, you really don't know what's available. But I can promise you it's in abundance whatever it is.

Beyond food, I'll also add not once, twice but *on numerous occasions* I have been unable to find adequate seating for a party of 2 (!) in Pier F. It's just really small and cannot handle crowds at all, aka you notice crowds as soon as they arrive. Unscientifically, it seems to happen late nights when Europe departures leave from nearby, although just a few weeks ago I encountered it again in the morning. I have never once, ever had a problem finding seating for multiple people in Pier J.

This is all somewhat moot because both lounges are really very lovely. They are both *superb* lounges. But I'm just saying someone "missing out" on Pier F if the option is Pier J are really doing just fine. I know the OMAATT blog praises the dickens out of Pier F, deservedly so, but with the readership they get I think I understand why people come here feeling the "need" to visit Pier F....because Pier J hasn't been reviewed yet!

I'll just reiterate to the OP what I say on repeat: I have access to Pier F but voluntarily go to Pier J about half the time of my lounge visits down there.