FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Value of Platinum? [Merged threads]
View Single Post
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:38 pm
ffay005

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Do not eat DEL catering. Pilots are not allowed to eat it according to sources.
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
That is over-reacting. I've had it I would say at least a dozen times with no problems. One of the worst nightmares an airline could face is food poisoning epidemic onboard, that's why hygienic level on airline catering is high almost everywhere, and I'm sure AY would not use local catering if there was any doubt of food safety.
I’m usually not very picky, and my travels have taken me to several pretty obscure destinations where the hygiene level is a far cry from what we’re used to back home, but I very seldom get stomach problems. And when I do, it’s in destinations like MIA or NYC

However, I’ve yet to experience a city as filthy as Delhi, sadly. Rats running around the alleys in Connaught Place in broad daylight, in that yellow smog they call air. And that one time I was there, it was only for a few days and I did get food poisoning, which lasted maybe 5–6 days. It was partly my own fault since I decided to eat Western food etc. If I had stuck with local food, maybe I would have been luckier.

On one hand, if people regularly got sick for eating AY’s onboard catering ex-DEL, I’m sure it would be all over the news. But on the other hand, who knows – people tolerate different things and if many Westeners on those flights will experience problems later on, they may not associate it with the flight but just blame it on generic Delhi belly.

Those of you who have visited the Plaza Premium – what kind of food do they serve there? I’d assume a well-heated Indian dish from a buffet would be rather safe whereas anything cold, such as a salad bar (not thinking of the FTer salads now!) or a fruit salad would definitely be a no-no.