FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Value of Platinum? [Merged threads]
View Single Post
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:24 am
Purjelentaja

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by ffay005
3) Fly TLL-HEL-DEL-HEL-TLL and take the ferry HEL-TLL for €455 and €16 respectively, throw away the HEL-TLL leg, 22 813 tier and award points.

I'm kinda leaning towards option 2 here although I'm definitely no fan of DEL, having visited the city once. But the gain here would be 80k award points for €548+€44 (eVisa), right? I've been reading Intuition's terrific Delhi Deli trip report over and over again...

A couple of questions:
- Can you eat the food at the lounge, or will you get Delhi belly?
- Does AY cater the DEL-HEL flight from HEL or from DEL?
I just booked option 3, but not to do a same plane turn around, but for some serious mass travelling: going to stay there for a couple of days! My first time experience of India was exactly like ffay005's, but then some years later my work took me to that country regularly, 3-4 times a year and kinda started liking it, more and more each time. Now after changing work and not being there for a couple of years, I've almost been missing it (yep, I know every one of us have the dark side, perhaps this is mine!) and as I def need some more tier points, added up 1+1 and ended joining the mass tourist movement - a weekend in Delhi! Costwise it is as ffay005 had calculated, 455€ for the flights, 20-40€ for the ferry tickets and 44€ for the evisa, making total of 22500 tier and award points (hmmm... just wondering where that 22813 points comes from?), which is pretty good value. Of course excluding hotel and other expenses in destination.

I never got Delhi belly from the food in the lounge, and actually nowhere in India, but have to admit, I've been extra-ultra-hyper-super-careful of what to eat and drink and where. Regarding flight catering, at least when I used to fly it regularly catering onboard on return was always from Delhi, it was also clear from the taste of their Indian food options.