FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban
View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:21 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
BA has its own security assessors who are closely associated with the various security services. They are proactive and quite often make decisions that others do not follow for your safety. They stopped us flying over parts of Ukraine a few years ago and a Malaysian aircraft flying over that area was shot down. If they are keeping the laptop ban in force they have their reasons. You are free to fly with another airline if you wish but their agenda may be quite different to BA. You pay your money and you take your choice - convenience over safety. Enjoy.
Just so we're clear, the UK DoT has removed restrictions where specific airports and airlines have implemented the required additional security measures.

What you seem to be implying is that BA has made a decision not to implement the recommendations of the UK DoT because it does not believe it is safe to do so (i.e. nothing to do with the fact that BA is not prepared to pay the additional costs associated with the requirements).

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't add up. I appreciate BA does have to make regular tough decisions about flight routings and related safety, etc. But to imply that BA is better positioned to make decisions on security risks at airports compared to the DoT (which will be advised by the UK national security and international intelligence services) seems a bit far-fetched.